citizenship and immigration services

I Am Married to a US Citizen — What Do I Do Next?

Applying for US citizenship or permanent residency can be a challenging process, even if your spouse is a US citizen. To  qualify, you’ll need to file the correct forms and meet specific requirements. That’s why you’ll want to work with a Sugar Land immigration attorney throughout this process. 

Esani & Momin P.C. can provide you with guidance and support. Our Sugar Land immigration law firm will help you comply with legal requirements and submit the necessary forms on time. 

patriotic silhouette of family waving American usa flagsHow a Sugar Land TX US Citizen Attorney Can Help

Marrying a US citizen won’t automatically make you a permanent resident. To legally remain in the United States, you’ll need to obtain a green card. A green card is essentially a permit that allows you to live and work in the US on a permanent basis. 

A Sugar Land immigration attorney can help you to file the forms needed to obtain permanent residency on time. By working with an attorney, you can be sure that you’re meeting all requirements and aren’t doing anything that could potentially jeopardize your residency or citizenship. 

How Can I Get a Green Card?

A green card designates you as a permanent resident of the United States, allowing you to apply for work and live anywhere in the country. After you’ve married your spouse, you’ll need to complete Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, to establish that the marriage exists. 

You’ll need to file Form-I-485, the Adjustment of Status application, to establish that you meet green card eligibility requirements. In most cases, it will be possible for you to submit Form 1-130 and Form 1-485 at the same time. 

After both forms have been filed, you’ll need to complete a green card interview. The purpose of this interview is to demonstrate the authenticity of your marriage. You may be asked about your relationship history and future plans during the interview.

If you’re approved, you’ll become a conditional permanent resident and will receive a green card that is valid for two years. When the green card is 90 days from expiring, you’ll need to submit a petition to remove your conditional status along with your spouse. To do this, you’ll need to file Form I-751.

If you’re approved, you’ll receive a permanent green card. The card is valid for 10 years and can easily be renewed as needed. Once you have your permanent green card, you’ll have the option of applying for US citizenship. Working with an experienced Sugar Land green card attorney will greatly increase your chances of success.

How Can I Work Towards Citizenship?

Permanent residents that are married to a US citizen have the option of applying for naturalization after spending three continuous years in the United States. To qualify, you need to stay married to your spouse and live with them for the entire three-year period. A Sugar Land Texas immigration attorney can help to prepare you for this process. 

If you meet these qualifications, you can file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, to start the process of becoming a naturalized citizen. You can submit the form up to 90 days before you reach the three-year anniversary of acquiring permanent residency. 

To qualify, you must have also resided in the state you are living in for at least three months. You must be present in the United States for at least 18 months of the three-year period. In addition, you must be able to pass the English test and a test on US history and government.  If you’re looking for an immigration attorney in Sugar Land Texas, reach out to Esani & Momin P.C. today. We’ve helped many people obtain US citizenship and permanent residency, and we can do the same for you. Call 281-313-6100 to learn more.


Immigration & Business Transactions

schedule consultation