changing immigration status

As an immigrant who marries a United States citizen or legal permanent resident, you are eligible to change your immigration status. While this benefit is available, this process involves many steps before you can be approved. Generally, a person who marries a citizen or permanent resident will proceed to obtain permanent residence themselves. The best first step would be to reach out to a Houston immigration attorney who can initiate the process. A lawyer at Esani & Momin will provide you with the answers to all of your legal questions as they prepare the necessary documents for your case.

Changing Immigration Status After Marriage
Once you’ve gotten married to a citizen or permanent resident, you can begin the process of changing your immigration status. An immigration attorney near Houston will work with you to determine your options based on your immigration background. The most common route for a newly married immigrant to take is to apply for a green card, or permanent resident status. 

Once a Houston immigration attorney determines that you’re eligible, an immigrant petition will need to be filed on your behalf. Upon its approval, and if there is a visa available, an Adjustment of Status application with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will be filed. Once submitted, you will have to attend an interview with an immigration officer. After it’s complete you will receive notification of the final decision. 

The entire process is lengthy and legally complex. A lawyer will draft all necessary documents and forms and inform you of the evidence you need to submit with the application. They will also handle the correspondence between you and the government. Lastly, they can help you prepare for the interview.

If you are in need of an immigration attorney near Houston, contact Esani & Momin for more information and to schedule a consultation with us.


Immigration & Business Transactions

schedule consultation