E-1 Visa

U.S immigration policy supports investors and foreign commerce in a variety of ways. E-1 Visas are issued to individuals known as “treaty traders”. A treaty trader is defined as a national of a country with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation.

The E-1 applicant must be coming to the U.S. to carry on substantial trade, or to develop and direct the operations of a business in which he or she has invested or will soon invest a substantial amount of capital.

The E-1 visa application may be turned in to the U.S. consular in the applicant’s home country. E-1 visa holders may remain in the United States for up to two years.

Spouses and children of E-1 visa holders may accompany the treaty trader; however, spouses must apply to USCIS in order to work in the U.S.

Most countries provide for the accommodation of trade, and the U.S. is no exception. This country relies on trade to help its markets to continue growing, as well as find new ways to generate revenue and resources. In that regard, those who can provide economic opportunity are frequently given extra benefits for immigration. This is where the E-1 Visa comes into play.

E-1 Visas provide special permission for entry into the U.S. to allow treaty traders to engage in business. These business interests are from a country that has secured a special economic treaty advantage with the U.S. The visitor cannot just be anyone; however, they need to have the capacity to bring a notable amount of trade to the U.S., will invest significant capital value, or owns or directs a significant amount of business operations that can relocate to the U.S.

The typical E-1 Visa request begins at the home country of the visitor through a U.S. consulate office. From there, once approved, the applicant is allowed to reside in the U.S. for a maximum of two years. Spouses and children are included in the same authorization. Interestingly, unlike many other U.S. visas, the E-1 visitor’s spouse can work in the U.S.

Esani & Momin, P.C., can help with your E-1 Visa application. We represent clients in the U.S. legal system domestically and can provide you with representation inside the U.S. coordinated with your application at a U.S. consulate in your home country. This allows us to work with the U.S. immigration service directly. The difference is to your advantage. Call us to find out more.


Related Blog Posts


Immigration & Business Transactions

schedule consultation