M-1 Visa

The M-1 visa offers students the opportunity to train in a positive U.S. environment while strengthening their technical and non-academic skills (this visa does not apply to language training). The M-1 visa is offered to students who wish to pursue full-time study at an USCIS-approved vocational or non-academic school in the U.S.

You must apply to and be accepted by a USCIS-approved school before applying for this visa. You will also need to be able to prove to the U.S. consulate that you have the money to afford to both go to school and take care of your expenses while in the U.S.

Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may join you in the U.S. if they have nonimmigrant M-2 status. Although M-1 and M-2 visa holders are not allowed to work, M-1 holders may apply for an extension of up to six months for practical training. If you lose your status, your spouse and children will also lose their status.

To learn more about visas or immigration law, contact an experienced Sugar Land lawyer at the Law Firm of Esani & Momin.

Would you like to study full time at a USCIS approved vocational or non-academic school in the U.S? Would you like to strengthen your technical skills in a positive environment? Then an M-1 Visa might be right for you!

Who qualifies for an M-1 Visa?

Before you apply for the M-1 Visa, you must be accepted by a USCIS approved school and be able to prove to the U.S. consulate that you are financially independent. If your spouse or minor children have nonimmigrant M-2 status, they may join you. Your program of study must have a specific goal. You must be involved in a “full course of study”, which means study in a community or junior college with a minimum of twelve semester or quarter hours.

How do I apply for an M-1 Visa?

This may differ based on the admission policy of your university. They will tell you what is required for eligibility. You may need proof of health insurance along with financial independence. Remember to keep copies of everything you send off. Academic eligibility may have to be proven. Once the university is satisfied that you meet their specifications, you will be issued an I-20 form that allows you to apply for your student visa.

What will I need to bring to the consulate?

Applicants for student visas for the most part apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. Along with the I-20 form, you should bring the following.

Attorneys Houston TX Sugar Land

If you need help with your M-1 Visa and live in Sugar Land Houston Texas attorneys are available. Esani & Momin are experienced Houston TX Sugar Land attorneys who will lend you a hand if you need it.


Related Blog Posts


Immigration & Business Transactions

schedule consultation