woman holding American flag on light backgroundMaintaining Your Immigration Status

It’s essential for international students studying in the United States to maintain an F1 visa status. F1 visa holders must comply with all of the terms and conditions of their visa, including academic, financial, and immigration requirements. Failure to fulfill any of these requirements can result in deportation.

The Sugar Land Texas attorneys at Esani & Momin, P.C. understand the unique needs of international students. They can provide the support necessary to ensure compliance with U.S. immigration to maintain their status.

Students in the United States

As an international student maintaining F1 status, meeting with a Designated School Official as soon as you arrive in the United States is a great way to start. Your DSO can provide valuable insight into the U.S. education system and help you understand its legal and academic responsibilities. By meeting with DSO, international students can ensure that their documents are in order and that they follow all regulations for their F1 status.

Extending one’s I-20 is often necessary for international students in the United States. An I-20 is a document issued by a school’s International Office and is used by the U.S. government to determine a student’s immigration status. This document serves as proof of acceptance into a school and also shows how long the student is legally allowed to stay in the country.

International students must extend their I-20s when their current documents are about to expire. This is especially important for students who plan to stay in the United States for longer than the duration of their document.

In order to extend their I-20s, students must contact their school’s International Office. The office will often request additional documents so they can review the student’s eligibility and determine whether or not they are allowed to extend their I-20.

Extending an I-20 is necessary and can be a time-consuming process. In Sugar Land, Texas experienced attorneys who specialize in immigration law and can help international students understand the regulations and any other legal issues that may arise. Working with a reputable attorney can provide international students with the peace of mind that their F1 status is secure and that they’re able to remain in the United States legally.

Workers in the United States

Obtaining special permission to work in the United States can be a complex and lengthy process, especially when the permission is granted by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Depending on the individual’s residency status, they may need to obtain a visa, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), or a labor certification from the Department of Labor before securing permission to work within the United States.

Foreign nationals wishing to work in the U.S. must apply for a visa. The type of visa they need to apply for will depend on the purpose of their stay, such as a work visa, a temporary worker visa, or a student visa – for those who intend to have a part-time job while studying in the U.S.

Once the visa has been obtained, the foreign national must then apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the Department of Homeland Security.

It’s recommended that all non-citizens who are visiting the United States always carry their passport and their I-94 card with them at all times. This can help protect you in the event of an unexpected immigration inspection. Having both documents on hand will ensure that you have the necessary identification to prove your legal status in the country. Furthermore, having a passport and I-94 card with you can help speed up the process of traveling within the United States.

At Esani & Momin P.C., an experienced team of Sugar Land, Texas attorneys can provide comprehensive advice for non-citizens traveling to and from the United States. We can help you understand the necessary documents and visas required for travel, as well as provide valuable advice on how to stay in compliance with U.S. immigration laws.


Immigration & Business Transactions

schedule consultation